The Old Belfry
Clarke St. and Mass. Ave.
The Old Belfry in Lexington was first built on its present day site in 1761. The bell in its peak was intended to be used as an alarm bell to warn of imminent attack, fire and other emergencies as well as the death of a member of the community.
The Belfry was moved in 1768 to Lexington Green. On the morning of April 19, 1775 the bell was rung to call out the Lexington militia and to warn of the approaching British Regulars.
The Old Belfry finally was moved back to its original location overlooking Lexington Green in 1891 by the Lexington Historical Society. In 1909 it was destroyed by a strong gale. It was rebuilt in 1910.