Edmund Fowle House
28 Marshall St.
The Historical Society of Watertown celebrated the Grand Opening of the Edmund Fowle house on Saturday (May 17). The Society has recently completed an extensive and very expensive restoration of the property, which had deteriorated to the point where it was no longer considered safe for occupancy. A number of local dignitaries along with members of various Colonial Militia units, including the Sudbury Militia, were in attendance to help with the opening ceremonies.
The Fowle house, built in 1772, in addition to its age and its beautiful architecture is also significant for its history. Committees from the Provincial Congress met here in 1775 and 1776. It was also an important meeting place after General Washington accepted command of the Continental Army and began conducting the siege of Boston. On July 19, 1776 a international treaty - the Watertown Treaty - was signed here between the Governors of the State of Massachusetts Bay and delegates from the St. Johns and the Micmac tribes from Nova Scotia, Canada.
The Historical Society, the Massachusetts legislature (which contributed $700,000), the many individuals and groups who donated time and effort and ultimately the Massachusetts taxpayer, are to be commended for restoring this important piece of history.
The Edmund Fowle house is owned and operated by the Historical Society of Watertown. Visiting hours for the house and its museum is 1-4 p.m. on every third Sunday during the summer months. Admission is $5.00 for adults, Senior Citizens and children under 12 are admitted for $3.00.